Monday, February 8, 2010

Found a Design Quiz

I found a neat quiz over at www.homegoods.com/hgh1_quiz.asp it tells you what your design style is. This is what it said about my design style:

Trianna, you are an Elegant Classic
you have a refined sensibility with an appreciation for history and tradition in your furniture and your rooms. You value beauty, things that are well crafted, and family heirlooms. You are visually sensitive and understand how symmetry and a formal layout give order to a room, and hence your home is refined and calming. You are not taken in by the trends of the moment. You go for things with a timeless appeal, and appreciate old-fashioned virtues like manners and handwritten notes and making a home that is welcoming for others.

You value order. you feel happiest if your home is well organized. You understand that when your house is in order, your mind feels clearer. Rather than a lot of meaningless objects or overly-designed items, you are happier with a few well-placed things. Your home is your respite from a busy life. Try to avoid letting things into your home that you don't really love.

It also said that my happy home colors were cool light blues, deep blue, pale plum and light teal. Other than the plum, I like them all.

I think it did a pretty good job figuring out my design style. It asked for my zip code and I tried and it accepted 12345 as I don't have a zip code living in Canada. Maybe you'd like to go check it out?

Some further tips it offered me under the heading Be Party-Ready All the Time!
Scent: The first thing you notice about a home is how it smells. use naturally fragranted cleaning products. If you find a scented candle or fresh potpourri you love, stock up on it. Any scent you like, whether perfume or linen spray, can be used on upholstery, bedding or just pritzed into the air.
Mood: Nice flattering light makes us feel good. So nix the harsh, direct light from overhead fixtures in favor of the softer glow from floor and table lamps. Also, stock up on some votive candles and a couple of hurricane lanterns for setting around the room.
Food: Devote space in your pantry or on a shelf for go-to party essentials: crackers, dip, chips, nuts-whatever you like to serve. Keep on hand a collection of attractive bowls and cocktail napkins, and you'll be able to set a spread-instantly!
Drink: The simplest and chicest thing is to have a drinks tray or table always set up. Include a mix of pretty glasses, an ice bucket, a lovely pitcher, and bottles of soda and water. When the bell rings, just add ice and limes.

What I think: Scent-I have a favorite incense I get in china town that I use often, but some guests are sensitive to smoke, when they come over I just throw a bit of Febreeze on the couch and in the hall closet. Seems to do the trick.
Mood: I don't have overhead lights in my living room so harsh light isn't really a problem. Though I think it would be nice to look into getting a hurricane lantern or two, I think they could multipurpose and be used outside come summertime.
Food: If I kept chips in my cupboard my kids would eat them before the guests got there. I'd rather serve more vitamin packed snacks than that. I like to keep some frozen fruit in the freezer. Blueberries are great because they are good still frozen with a bit of cool whip. Or if I have a few minutes fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate is popular. Or if its teenagers; which around here it often is, flavored popcorn is usually a good bet for a snack.
Drink: I can't do this either, space is an issue here and I can't justify leaving that out for the occasional guest who drinks. I have my drinks all in one kitchen cupboard it works for me. Also I can't keep soda in the house for long with my teenage boys around. I occasionally buy some as a mix when I know I'm getting company. I also usually have some frozen orange juice or bottles of V8 around to use as a mix in a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment